The Calcutta High Court is the oldest High Court in India. It was established on 1st July, 1862 under the High Court’s Act, 1861. It has jurisdiction over the state of West Bengal and the Union Territory of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The High Court building was designed by Mr. Walter Granville, Government Architect, on the model of the ‘Stadt-Haus’ or Cloth Hall at Ypres in Belgium.
The seat of the High Court is Kolkata, capital of West Bengal. It also has permanent Circuit Benches in Port Blair, the capital of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands and in Jalpaiguri, the headquarters of the Jalpaiguri division of West Bengal. The court has a sanctioned judge strength of 72.